ARC R11 2018 Build Review
Over the last few years I have had a chance to build a number of ARC cars and I have always been very impressed with the build quality and the spec of their cars out of the box. The other thing I love about ARC cars is that they always produce a full upgrade kit for the previous years model so your investment lasts that bit longer. Here is a link to the review I did moving from the 2016 to the 2017 car.
Recently the distribution of the ARC 10th electric touring cars moved from Zen Racing to Torque-RC which is run by Colin Jackson and Wayne Gorey. I had a good chat with them and their plans to grow a team around the R11 and was very impressed with their enthusiasm and also some of the initial results from Billy Fletcher and Colin himself, both running the R11 2018 in anger at the BRCA and Clubman championships here in the UK.
Based on this a nice shiny blue box duly arrived on my doorstep ready for review…
Before launching into the full review I thought I would do something a bit different with a YouTube unboxing video basically showing what come in the box when you first open it, the different bags and contents… my first attempt so don’t be too hard on me LOL
On with the build and straight away we are into building the spool, diff and centre pulley
My first outing with the R11 was at the UMCC’s track at Ballymoney in Northern Ireland. The track is medium grip with some technical and fast parts, a nice track to drive. The weather was amazing when we arrived…
I went with Colin Jackson’s Bedworth setup with the alloy 4 deg hub carriers. Initial thoughts were that the car was a bit loose on the rear. I did some changes lowering diffs, lowered and then removed the lower roll centre spacers. Car got better each time giving more grip but I just found the steering too much which I think was causing the back end to feel loose and also oversteering out of the corners. I decided I was chasing the setup too much, changing too much. So for the last run of the day I pretty much headed back towards kit setup with the front of the car. Removed the alloy hub carriers, went to one dot hinge pin holders all round. Left the lower roll centre 0.3 all round and the 1.6mm top deck shimmed up 1mm. After all that I ended up with a neutral car that had plenty of grip and steering but one I had the confidence to push. So I feel that I have a good base setup and I have a great feeling for the next outing in two weeks time.
Thanks again to Colin and Wayne for the car and the support so far in running the R11 and watch this space for anything else that comes up around ARC and Torque-RC.